This live web event has ended. Thank you for attending.
Several state laws permit the
use of a bioptic telescope, with some restrictions, for drivers who have low
vision. The driver must meet minimum vision requirements, and an
ophthalmologist or optometrist must prescribe the telescope. During this
presentation, participants will learn about recent research on bioptic driving,
common types of bioptics used for driving, and techniques to teach the use of
bioptics before a potential driver gets behind the wheel.
- Participants will be able to identify common diagnoses that limit driving performance for individuals with low vision.
- Participants will be able to describe how driving performance is impacted by visual deficits.
- Participants will be able to describe the role of the low vision specialist in safe return to driving.
- Participants will have a basic understanding of the use of bioptic telescopes for driving and what to look for in a good fit for a bioptic.
- Participants will learn training techniques in the use of bioptics.
This session is presented by Dr. Dawn DeCarlo and Jason Vice.